Debt

Debt. Honestly.

08:30:00


I wanna talk debt openly and honestly because I feel like we have a little bit of it under the carpet but no one wants to clean up properly. Firstly, can I just say that It is OKAY to have debt, we sort of live in a world where 90% of the population are in some form of debt, whether is positive debt - Student Loans, Mortgages, that sort of thing, or naughty debt - New shoes, holidays that sort of nonsense. It should be okay to talk about it, as long as you're doing something about it. Credit cards are fantastic for emergencies, I'm talking broken boilers, broken down cars that sort of thing, a bad day is not an emergency you do not require an entire new wardrobe because your boss/colleague/parent/sibling/family member/friend got on your nerves, this I have learnt. My solution to a bad day now is cake, which is considerably more affordable. Purchase a nice bit of cake, don't share it and then tell everyone about it and walk off with a smile on your face. 

I set up this blog to document my frugal activities, which I'll admit haven't been so frequent but I have changed my attitude. Over the past year I have barely bought anything. I've shopped occasionally, But I've shopped smarter, investing in things I actually return to time and time again, Gap black skinny jeans I'm looking at you. Yet I am still in a HUGE amount of debt (if you compare it to my wage). I've come a long way in the past year, and there will be more on that later, but first I want to address the stigma. 


I was talking to a friend the other day who said it caused her so much stress just knowing she had a small amount of debt and I think it's the stigma that we need to sort out. I'm not saying tell everyone about the debt we're in, but we need to start saying "No, I can afford that weekend away/lunch/dinner/activity right now" and suggesting a time you can take part or just missing out. Missing out, another issue I will address later. 

So, Stigma. 

According to the The Money Charity,

 "PEOPLE IN THE UK OWED £1.465 TRILLION AT THE END OF FEBRUARY 2016. THIS IS UP FROM £1.43 TRILLION AT THE END OF FEBRUARY 2015 – AN EXTRA £684.39 PER UK ADULT." 

We've all be aboard the consuming train, without a ticket, and are currently hiding in the toilets from the ticket inspector. The Money Charity break this down further to this debt equalling to being a little over £29,000 per adult in the UK. 

Consumer debt is on the rise and that's not okay. In world where we are being streamed images of those without, and being urged to help, why is consumer debt increasing? (Consumer debt is about £6,000 per person).

Consumer debt it the Naughty Debt, and not Student Loans, Mortgages that sort of thing. 

My favourite statistic at the moment is this; 


TOTAL CREDIT CARD DEBT IN FEBRUARY 2016 WAS £63.82BN. PER HOUSEHOLD THIS IS £2,364 – FOR A CREDIT CARD BEARING THE AVERAGE INTEREST, IT WOULD TAKE 25 YEARS AND 5 MONTHS TO REPAY IF YOU MADE ONLY THE MINIMUM REPAYMENT EACH MONTH.
  • THE MINIMUM REPAYMENT IN THE FIRST MONTH WOULD BE £56 BUT REDUCES EACH MONTH. IF YOU PAID £56 EVERY MONTH, THE DEBT WOULD BE CLEARED IN AROUND 5 YEARS AND 5 MONTHS
SAY WHAT?!?!

I don't know about you, but I don't fancy paying off a pair of shoes, I probably can't wear any more in 25 years, do you? 

CITIZENS ADVICE BUREAUX IN ENGLAND AND WALES DEALT WITH 3,957 NEW DEBT PROBLEMS EVERY DAY DURING THE QUARTER ENDING DECEMBER 2015

The above statistic says that we are seeking help, as the consumer debt it increasing. So we are talking about it, more openly and that can only be a good thing. The first steps to solving a problem is to talk about it once it's in the open you can start to address it, work through it and put yourself on the path to fixing it. We may never be completely debt free, but we have the tools to manage, and the knowledge that despite the feeling that we are alone in this situation, we are far from it, just look at the statistics!

If you're struggling you can get in touch with the following bodies who can help you work it all out, here are a few I've consulted and continue to look to for advice. 

The Money Charity

The Debt Advice Foundation

Money Advice Service

StepChange

Have you used an advice service? What did you think? 

X TWC 



You Might Also Like

0 comments